5 Reasons Hong Kong Pokémon Trainers Must Visit Wong Chuk Hang
So Pokémon GO has finally (FINALLY) launched in Hong Kong. What’s felt like a lifetime (but has actually only been about 2 weeks) since launch in places like Australia and US, has finally made it down to our little SAR. Like most popular things, you either can’t stop catching the little creatures even when it means creeping up at random parks at 2am, or you’re desperately trying to avoid the zombie players walking around town. Fancy yourself as a die-hard Pokéfan? Then you’ve gotta get over to Wong Chuk Hang in Hong Kong Island’s Southern District ASAP, where Ovolo Southside’s got a range of goodies just for you:
Trying to catch the elusive Pikachu? He’s not easy to find, but with patience and a bit of luring from Ovolo Southside you just might. The hotel’s set up lures around the area just for you Pokéfeens. Sightings of Snorlax, Magnimite and even Hitmonchan have all been seen so far! Every day between 2pm and 10pm until early September you’ll find Pokémon waiting for you there.
2.Charge Baby Charge
All that Pokémon hunting is a major drain. I’m not even talking about data plans! That sweet iPhone or Samsung you have that’s supposed to last on charge for a week? Yea you can kiss that goodbye after maybe 4 hours of nonstop Pokémon GO action. Sure power banks help, but wouldn’t you rather have an unlimited source? The Southside hotel’s got free charging setup throughout. Just bring your phone, chill at the hotel’s restaurant (CIRQLE) or bar (ABOVE) and let your phone charge back to glory.
3.While You Charge Your Phone, Charge Yourself!
While your phone charges away, how about having some of your own charging with the medley of Pokémon-themed drinks on offer at ABOVE? Check out what’s available:
- The Pikacho (-cho for vinegar in Cantonese) – Like jolt of lightning one could expect from Pokémon’s star character, the Pikacho cocktail combines Redbull, vodka, orange juice and a dash of apple cider vinegar in each sip
- The Bulbasour – Worthy of the sweet, ever-evolving Pokémon it gets its name from, the Bulbasour starts off with a taste of melon that’s quickly met with a punch of lemon juice and whisky, rounded off with the sweetness of Sprite and Maraschino cherries.
- The Charmelon – A character as fiery as the little dragon deserves a drink named after it. The Charmelon is a twist on pineapple sangria, complete with a dash of Grenadine, a slice of melon and Jalapeno-infused simple syrup for the inevitable kick.
- The Snorelax – Like the blue & green giant itself, one hit of this drink is sure to top off the night. Made of four different alcohols (vodka, rum, tequila and gin) as well blue Curacao and orange juice, the Snorelax’s probably the first and last drink one would need to order.
- The Jigglypop – What Pokémon-inspired cocktail list would be complete without a character as cute as the bubbly pink one? The Jigglypop is a vodka & raspberry lemonade concoction, finished off with strawberries and a dash of blue Curacao.
Those Pokémon you catch really ought to offer some benefits, right? Yes! At Ovolo Southside, you’ve got some sweet rewards waiting:
- Caught at least 15 unique Pokémon? Get 15% off at CIRQLE and 30% off your first drink at ABOVE
- For the more ambitious, managed to catch 50 unique Pokémon? First 20 people to claim so get 1 night free when booking a night at Ovolo Southside, plus free upgrade and welcome Pokémon cocktail!
5.Get REALLY Rewarded
If you’re living, dreaming and breathing about Pokémon (because seriously, why not?), you’ll want to come south side for this:
- First person in HK to catch all 142-some Pokémon will win a free weekend stay and credit for 5,200 Pokecoins.
With reasons like these, what’s taking you so long? Go on, get going, you’ve gotta catch ‘em all!
Amadou is an American-raised, Hong Kong-based writer, communicator, and all-around lover of travel & food. He speaks four foreign languages and loves recommending new and exciting things to people whenever they go somewhere new. When not managing his day job, you’ll probably find him at a happy hour or at the park with his Maltese Terrier, Maxx.